Santa Barbara Channelkeeper (SBCK) is seeking a Development Director to join our team.
Position Description – Development Director
The Development Director serves as Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s (SBCK) principal fundraising strategist and is responsible for planning, managing, and implementing SBCK’s fundraising programs, including the annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, fundraising events, institutional grants, and capital/special gifts campaigns. The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to implement successful donor development and fundraising programs to meet or exceed the annual and long-term fundraising goals of SBCK. The Development Director engages, coordinates, and motivates volunteers to assist in the organization’s fundraising efforts.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s current annual budget is $908,000. The organization is financially stable and poised for strategic growth.
The Development Director should be committed to the mission and work of Santa Barbara Channelkeeper, enthusiastic about fundraising, and experienced in asking for financial support from a diversity of sources.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper protects and restores the Santa Barbara Channel and its watersheds through science-based advocacy, public education and engagement, fieldwork, and when other avenues fail, legal action. Throughout its 20+ years, Santa Barbara Channelkeeper has accomplished significant results to protect water quality and aquatic habitats along California’s coast stretching from Gaviota Coast to the Ventura River, and offshore to the Channel Islands.
- Plan, manage, and implement fundraising initiatives, including annual fund, capital/special gift campaigns, planned giving, corporate support, and events, such as the annual Blue Water Ball.
- In partnership with Executive Director and Board of Directors’ Development Committee, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift prospects, including implementing a major gift and planned giving program.
- Build and deepen relationships with Santa Barbara Channelkeeper supporters, including Board of Directors and past, current, and future donors.
- Working closely with Executive Director and staff, oversee the identification, research, and submission of high-quality grant proposals and reports to foundations and other institutional supporters.
- Oversee all aspects of donor and institutional grant tracking and management.
- Oversee the production of annual fund appeals, annual reports, and fundraising materials.
- Plan and produce fundraising events, including the annual Blue Water Ball.
- Develop, maintain, and oversee policies and best practices related to fundraising activities that meet the standards of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Work with Executive Director to develop annual and long-range development goals and plans.
- Contribute to annual budget preparation.
- Develop organization’s development and donor communication calendar.
- Work with Executive Director to establish and monitor budgets for special fundraising events.
- Recruit, manage, and support volunteers in planning and execution of fundraising events.
- Recruit, provide orientation and training, coordinate, and motivate all Board Members and additional organization supporters to participate in specific fundraising activities.
- Function as principal staff liaison to the Board of Directors’ Development Committee.
- Participate in appropriate professional and networking organizations.
- Supervise staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- A minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience with a record of demonstrated success among a diversity of donor sources (major donors, foundations, annual appeals, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience fostering and deepening relationships with individuals, foundations, businesses, and other institutional supporters.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong time management skills and commitment to meeting multiple deadlines.
- Strong analytic, decision-making, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to exercise solid judgment and ensure confidentiality of information.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with the following is required: donor management software, word processing, spreadsheet and budget management, email, and Internet research.
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with a diverse range of individuals and with colleagues as a leader and team member.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and volunteers on development activities.
- Enthusiastic about Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s mission and impact.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for meetings and events.
- Strong ties to the Santa Barbara region’s philanthropic community are a plus.
Competitive, non-profit salary commensurate with experience; benefits
Send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to: [email protected] and include “Development Director position” as email subject.
Please, no phone calls or drop-in meetings.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and other categories protected by law in employment decisions.