The Program and Administrative Assistant supports Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s (SBCK) team. The Assistant will perform specific duties in support of SBCK’s education and monitoring programs. In addition, the Assistant will undertake office-wide administrative tasks.
This is a part-time position (24 hours per week).
The Program and Administrative Assistant should be a dependable, motivated, and well-organized individual who is committed to the mission and work of Santa Barbara Channelkeeper and enthusiastic about working with volunteers.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper protects and restores the Santa Barbara Channel and its watersheds through science-based advocacy, public education and engagement, field work, and when other avenues fail, legal action. Throughout its 20+ years, Santa Barbara Channelkeeper has accomplished significant results to protect water quality and aquatic habitats along California’s coast stretching from Gaviota Coast to the Ventura River, and offshore to the Channel Islands.
- Support SBCK’s marine and watershed monitoring programs by performing monitoring activities, maintaining equipment and supplies, and assisting with data management tasks.
- Support SBCK’s educational programs by assisting in the preparation and implementation of student field trips and classroom presentations.
- Support community engagement programs such as our Watershed Brigade program and additional trash clean-ups.
- Conduct community outreach by tabling and organizing volunteers to participate at events and other outreach functions.
- Draft and post social media content and other communication materials.
- Perform basic office management activities, such as filing, electronic record keeping, copying, processing mail, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products (Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Experience with WordPress
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities, resolve problems, and organize time.
- Effective, collaborative team member.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for events.
- Enthusiastic about Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s mission and impact.
- Experience with water quality monitoring is preferred.
- Ability to provide support on Channelkeeper’s 31-foot research vessel while at sea.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain and wade in streams.
- Ability to swim (safety requirement)
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
This is a part-time position of 24 hours/week. The pay is $21.50 per hour.
Send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to: [email protected] and include “Assistant position” as email subject.
Please, no phone calls or drop-in meetings.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and other categories protected by law in employment decisions.